Ingredients required to make Potato and Green Peas Kuruma
• Potatoes 2 nos
• Green Peas 1 cup (You can also use the dried peas. But soak it overnight and then boil)
• Onions 2 big sized (finely chopped)
• Tomato 1
• Ginger garlic paste 1 tablespoon
• Green Chillies 3 to 4
• Kas kas 1 tablespoon
• Turmeric powder just a pinch
• Coriander powder 1 tablespoon
• Fennel 1 tablespoon
• Cinnamon for tempering
• Curry and coriander leaves for tempering
• Coconut finely grated (1 cup)
• Oil for frying
• Salt to taste
Method of making Potato and Green Peas Kuruma
Boiling Potatoes and Peas
• For dried peas: Soaked dried peas and potatoes (peel the skin off from the potatoes) can be pressure cooked. Keep it aside.
• For the green peas: After the potato is boiled, you can add the green peas to the boiling water for a few minutes.
Making the Onion Kas Kas Gravy
• In a frying pan, add little oil. Fry the chopped onions (one onion is enough here) and add kas kas and then fry it again.
• To this add green chillies and then fry a little.
• Grind all this into a paste and keep it aside
• Heat oil in a frying pan. Add fennel, cinnamon, and curry leaves and allow it to splutter.
• To this add the Onion Kas kas gravy, ginger garlic paste, chopped onion, and tomato and sorte them.
• Add the boiled potatoes and peas (of your choice) and add water to this mixture.
• Now add turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt and allow it to boil.
• Grind the coconut in the mixie and add this finally to the boiling kuruma. Optional: You can also grind fried grams and cashewnuts along with the coconut to enhance the richness of your kurum.
• Finally add coriander leaves for garnishing.
Nutrient value of Potatoes and Green Peas
• Potatoes are rich in starch and carbohydrates.
• They contain potassium that ensures adequate supply of water and ions to the body.
• They are also rich in Vitamin C.
• Green peas are rich in anti-oxidants.
• They contain Vitamin C and K and a good source of proteins too.
More articles: Tamil Recipes