Birla Planetarium Chennai Kids Hangout Place
Birla Planetarium located in Chennai is one of the large planetarium through which makes one to travel to the sky. This planetorium was built in 1988 and got its name in the memory of the great industrialist of India B. M. Birla.This is located in the Periyar Science and Technology Centre campus Kotturpuram in Chennai which has got eight galleries which are as follows:
• Physical Science
• Electronics and Communication
• Life Science
• International Dolls
• Children and Materials Science
Features of the Birla Planetarium
• Birla Planetarium has got a hemispherical inner dome made of aluminium.
• Equipped with opto-mechanical GOTO GM II starfield projector
• Contains special-effects projector
• Celestial phenomena simulated with X-Y table system.
• The diurnal, annual, latitudinal, and precessional motions are executed with GM II projector.
• Contains a air-conditioned theatre with 236 seating capacity]
• First 360-degree sky theatre in India
• Contains a DLP projector.
• The hall displays portraits and statues of scientists
• Photographs of various heavenly bodies
• Models of celestial phenomena and space missions
Check out for!
Chennai tourist places
Chennai travel guide
Birla Planetarium Shows
Birla Planetarium Sky shows are conducted each and every day at specific timings in different languages. Kids will love watching the Solar System which will be very informative to them. The shows in Birla Planetarium is about the following:
1. sky and seasons
4. Man on Moon
6. shooting meteoroids
7. stellar cycle
Approximately 35 programmes on these topics are conducted. .
Other important aspects of astronomy and different cosmic phenomena are explained in Audio-visual programs. The programs are changed every 3 months duration. The shows are conducted in both English and Tamil so even everyone could understand. A special show on night sky observation is arranged on every second Saturdays from 7pm to 9 pm
Timings and working days of Birla Planetarium
Birla Planetarium Open on all days except on national holidays from 10:00 am to 5:45 pm.
Timings of the Birla Planetarium shows in English: 10.45am, 1.15 pm, 3.45 pm
Timings of the Birla Planetarium shows in Tamil: 12:00 pm and 2.30pm
How to reach Birla Planetarium
Birla Planetarium located in on the Gandhi Mandapam road in Kotturpuram.The landmarks near the planetarium are IIT Madras, Guindy national park, Adyar cancer institute, Anna University, Anna centenary library. The place can be easily reached both by train and bus and the place looks crowded on the weekends and summer holidays.
Train Route to reach Birla Planetarium:Planetarium is located near Kotturpuram MRTS
Bus Routes to Birla Planetarium: From Koyambedu : M23; From Central : 5C, M18B