Ingredients required to make milk pongal
Cooked rice – 1 cup
Milk – ½ liter
Sugar – 1 cup
Saffron – A little
Cardamom – 4 or 5
Cashew nuts – a few
Raisins – a few
Ghee – Two teaspoons
Method of preparation of paal pongal
1. Boil milk without adding water in a heavy bottomed vessel and keep aside.
2. Take one cup of cooked rice and smash it nicely.
3. Take half quantity of boiled milk. Add smashed rice to it and boil.
4. When it thickens, add remainder of the milk little by little.
5. Boil until the mixture somewhat thickens.
6. Add 1 cup of sugar to the mixture and boil in a low flame for a few minutes until sugar dissolves.
7. Add saffron and powdered cardamom to the mixture.
8. Heat a teaspoon of ghee, fry cashew nuts and raisins, and add to the mixture.
9. Add one or two teaspoons of ghee and stir well.
10. When the mixture is somewhat thick in consistency, remove from stove, and serve hot.
11. If you have Milkmaid, you can add one or two teaspoons. It will give a good flavor or if you have Instant Badam mix powder at home, you can add a tablespoon of the mix to the mixture and stir well. Now, the instant milk pongal is ready.
Points to remember while making paal pongal or milk pongal
1. You should keep stirring the mixture often to avoid sticking to the bottom of the vessel and turning black.
2. After adding sugar, keep it in a low flame and see that the milk does not turn like curd.