Tamilnadu's traditional recipe Vazhaikkai Poriyal
Vazhaikkai Poriyal is a traditional and healthy side dish recipe of Tamilnadu. This is cooked in all special occasions and tastes well when served with rice, sambar, rasam and pappadam. Try this and enjoy this Tamil recipe with your family.
Ingredients required for Vazhaikkai Poriyal
Raw plantains - 3 (small-sized)
Coconut - 1/4 cup (grated)
Small onions - 5
Garlic - 3 big cloves
Green chillies - 2
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp.
Turmeric powder - 3 pinches
Mustard - 1/2 tsp.
Curry leaves - a few
Oil and Salt as required.
Method for making Vazhaikkai Poriyal
1. Peel the skin of the plantains and then boil them with a pinch of turmeric powder and salt.
2. Strain the water and cut the plantains into small cubes and keep aside.
3. Grind the small onions, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves coarsely in a mixer.
4. Heat a oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds, then add the ground small onions, garlic, green chillies, curry leaves, little salt and a pinch of turmeric powder and saute till the mixture turn golden colour.
5. Add the grated coconut and pepper powder to the above mixture and saute for 3 to 4 minutes in low flame.
6. Lastly add the cooked and cubed plantains and saute till it becomes dry.
Enjoy this as a side dish with sambhar, rasam or any of your favorites.