Navarathiri in Devi puranam
As per Devi Puranam, Navarathiri comes two times in a year. Vasantha Navarathiri comes in the month of Chitirai and Saradha Navarathiri comes in the month of Puratasi. The season of summer and winter starts in the months of Chitirai and Puratasi respectively. People worship Devi so as to protect them from the diseases caused by the changing seasons. Nowadays Saradha Navarathiri is generally followed by the people.
Worshipping Devi in three forms during Navarathiri
Goddess Devi is worshipped in three forms as Durga, Lakshmi and Saraswathi for every three days during Navarathiri (nine nights). As Devi destroyed the demons and Asuras, people pray Her to destroy the problems and evils in their life.
• For the first three days, we have to worship goddess Durga (Icha sakthi) for eradicating our evil thoughts.
• During the next three days, we have to worship goddess Lakshmi (Kriya sakthi) for making us a real human by giving us wealth and health.
• In the last three days, we have to worship goddess Saraswathi (Gnana sakthi) for providing us gnanam for attaining the divinithy.
One can render Devi Mahathmiyam as per the procedure. One can do pooja to Devi everyday according to their ability with full devotion. Eventhough it is not possible for anyone to worship Devi in all these nine days, they could atleast worship on the days of Durgashtami, Saraswathi pooja and Vijayadasami. Little girls and married ladies should be considered as Devi and given thamboolam and other sacred things.In the day of Saraswathi pooja, the study materials of the students should be placed in the pooja.
Procedure for arranging dolls in Navarathiri golu
During Navarathiri pooja, various dolls are arranged in steps in the temples and houses. This arrangement is called Navarathiri Golu.
Generally the steps should be in odd numbers i.e. 3,5,7,9 and 11. There is procedure for arranging the dolls in these steps. Generally dolls are arranged from the nature, birds, animals, human to divine as listed below.
• 1st step - Plants, vegetables and fruits
• 2nd step - Creatures and things found in the water.
• 3rd step - Inscects
• 4th step - Animals
• 5th step - Birds
• 6th step - Human beings
• 7th Step - Saints
• 8th step - Devas
• 9th step - Gods and Goddesses
In this year, Navarathiri is being celebrated from 28th Sep. Let us all pray Devi and attain Her grace.
More articles: tamilnadu festivals