Culture and Festivals
Travel & Tourism
Periyapalayam Sri Bhavani Amman Temple
Posted Date: 28-Sep-2011
: 20 (
Among the numerous Sakthi temples in Tamilnadu, Shri Bhavani Amman temple at Periyapalayam is a famous one. In this article, the details about this temple including the deities, worship and festivals of this temple is given. Devotees come and worship here to lead a healthy and wealthy life.
Location of Periyapalayam Bhavani amman temple
Periyapalayam is situated on the river bank of Arani, which is about 45 km from
on the way to
Once upon a time, a businessman was returning to his hometown from Chennai, after selling bangles. When he reached
, he laid under a Neemtree there to take rest. When he woke up, he found that his bangles bag was missing. While searching, he saw that bag in an anthill besides that neemtree. He tried to take that bag with a stick. But a sound arose when the stick clashed on a stone inside. He returned home in fear without his bag. On that night, Amman came in his dream and told him that She is residing in that anthill and ordered him to built a temple for Her. Thus this temple arose. The goddess here is called as Renuga devi and Bhavani amman.
Sri Bhavani Amman
Sri Bhavani Amman idol in this temple is Swambhu i.e originated itself. This is being covered with Kavacham. Also another idol of Sri Bhavani amman in sitting posture with four hands is installed behind this Swambhu idol. Sanghu (Conch)& Chakram (Wheel) are found in Her two upper hands and Sword & Amirtha kalasam in Her two lower hands. A five-hooded snake is above her head as an umbrella. The dazzling divine beauty of Shri Bhavani amman cures the illness in the mind and body of the devotees.
Various forms of Prarthanas by the devotees
• Veppanselai Prarthana - Devotees wear Veppanselai i.e.dress made up of neem leaves and go around the temple for three times and pray Amman.
• Adithanda Prarthana - Devotees wearing wet dress, roll out a coconut in the temple. They prostrate at the place where the coconut stops and pray Amman.
• Kozhi sutrividum Prarthana - offering a hen and pray Amman to save the life of a person.
• Thalisaradu i.e. the divine thread tied by the bride groom around the neck of the bride at the time of marriage is submitted to the Amman and the yellow thread, turmeric etc. filled with the divine grace of Amman are given back to the devotees. Ladies tie that divine thread so as to lead a long healthly life.
• Also devotees perform Angapradhashinam i.e. roll around the temple.
• Karaga prarthana is also another form of prarthana in this temple.
Festivals of this temple
• Adi Peruvizha is the famous festival of this temple. In the tamil months of Adi and Avani (July/Aug), the processional deity (utsavar idol) of Shri Bhavani Amman comes in various vahanams in every week as given below.
In the month of Adi,
I week - Surya prabai
II week - Kuthirai vahanam
III week - Naga vahanam
IV week - Simha Vahanam
In the month of Avani
I week - Hamsa Vahanam
II week - Chandra prabai
In the next coming four weeks - Ratham
• At the end of this festival, Vidaiyatri festival is held for four weeks.
Other deities in shrines within this temple
• Sri Arputha Sakthi Vinayagar
• Sri Subramanyar with Valli and Deivayanai
• Sri Maheswari
• Sri Kaumari
• Sri Vaishnavi
• Sri Indirani
• Sri Varahi
• Sri Mahalakshmi-Srinivasa Perumal
• Sri Parasuramar
• Sri Hanuman
Temples in Chennai, details about ancient temples in and around Chennai
Temples in Tamil Nadu
Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple
Raja Raja Chola and his temples
Interlocking Rocks feature of Tamilnadu Temple Gopurams
Why was Tanjore big temple built?
Mysteries of Tanjore big temple
Tirukalukundram temples in Tamilnadu Temple of Solace Best Tourist places in Tamilnadu
Perur Patteeswarar Temple the famous pilgrim centre in Coimbatore district
Famous Temples in Tamilnadu
Read related articles:
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "Periyapalayam Sri Bhavani Amman Temple"
Guest Author: Ravi Chandran S 20 Jan 2012
we need to provide lot of information about "Periya palayalam Temple". 1) what is it famous for 2) What is Amma Bhavani famous for. etc., I am going to this temple since late 70's.
I love Bhavani Amma.
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Online TSR members
Awards & Gifts
Education in Tamilnadu
Tamilnadu DDE admissions
Last 7 Days
Tamilnadu travel guide
Tamilnadu tourist places
Temples in Tamilnadu
Entertainment in Tamilnadu
Tamil movie online booking
Tamil movie actors
Tamil movie actress
Best places to eat in Chennai, Tamilnadu
Tamil Rasi Palangal 2015 New Year Panchangam Jothidam Predictions
Famous Tamil nadu Food Items
Sani Peyarchi Pariharam 2014 Saturn remedies Tamil Rasi palan
Aadi Discount Sale in Chennai 2014 Festival Offer
TSR top 5 performers
Copyright © SpiderWorks Technologies Pvt Ltd., Kochi, India
All Rights Reserved.