Location of Periyapalayam Bhavani amman temple
Periyapalayam is situated on the river bank of Arani, which is about 45 km from Chennai on the way to Tirupathi from Chennai.
Once upon a time, a businessman was returning to his hometown from Chennai, after selling bangles. When he reached Periyapalaym, he laid under a Neemtree there to take rest. When he woke up, he found that his bangles bag was missing. While searching, he saw that bag in an anthill besides that neemtree. He tried to take that bag with a stick. But a sound arose when the stick clashed on a stone inside. He returned home in fear without his bag. On that night, Amman came in his dream and told him that She is residing in that anthill and ordered him to built a temple for Her. Thus this temple arose. The goddess here is called as Renuga devi and Bhavani amman.
Sri Bhavani Amman
Sri Bhavani Amman idol in this temple is Swambhu i.e originated itself. This is being covered with Kavacham. Also another idol of Sri Bhavani amman in sitting posture with four hands is installed behind this Swambhu idol. Sanghu (Conch)& Chakram (Wheel) are found in Her two upper hands and Sword & Amirtha kalasam in Her two lower hands. A five-hooded snake is above her head as an umbrella. The dazzling divine beauty of Shri Bhavani amman cures the illness in the mind and body of the devotees.
Various forms of Prarthanas by the devotees
• Veppanselai Prarthana - Devotees wear Veppanselai i.e.dress made up of neem leaves and go around the temple for three times and pray Amman.
• Adithanda Prarthana - Devotees wearing wet dress, roll out a coconut in the temple. They prostrate at the place where the coconut stops and pray Amman.
• Kozhi sutrividum Prarthana - offering a hen and pray Amman to save the life of a person.
• Thalisaradu i.e. the divine thread tied by the bride groom around the neck of the bride at the time of marriage is submitted to the Amman and the yellow thread, turmeric etc. filled with the divine grace of Amman are given back to the devotees. Ladies tie that divine thread so as to lead a long healthly life.
• Also devotees perform Angapradhashinam i.e. roll around the temple.
• Karaga prarthana is also another form of prarthana in this temple.
Festivals of this temple
• Adi Peruvizha is the famous festival of this temple. In the tamil months of Adi and Avani (July/Aug), the processional deity (utsavar idol) of Shri Bhavani Amman comes in various vahanams in every week as given below.
In the month of Adi,
I week - Surya prabai
II week - Kuthirai vahanam
III week - Naga vahanam
IV week - Simha Vahanam
In the month of Avani
I week - Hamsa Vahanam
II week - Chandra prabai
In the next coming four weeks - Ratham
• At the end of this festival, Vidaiyatri festival is held for four weeks.
Other deities in shrines within this temple
• Sri Arputha Sakthi Vinayagar
• Sri Subramanyar with Valli and Deivayanai
• Sri Maheswari
• Sri Kaumari
• Sri Vaishnavi
• Sri Indirani
• Sri Varahi
• Sri Mahalakshmi-Srinivasa Perumal
• Sri Parasuramar
• Sri Hanuman
More articles: Tamilnadu Temples
we need to provide lot of information about "Periya palayalam Temple". 1) what is it famous for 2) What is Amma Bhavani famous for. etc., I am going to this temple since late 70's.
I love Bhavani Amma.