Analysis of percentage of votes polled by political parties in Tamilnadu assembly elections 2011
The Tamilandu assembly elections are over and the AIADMK alliance won a decisive majority to win the elections. They trounced the DMK alliance and are back in power after a gap of 5 years. The analysis of Tamilnadu assembly elections 2011 shows that the people of Tamilnadu wanted a change and they voted out the DMK government. Though there are many reasons for the DMK defeat the main and primary reasons are the power cut issues, corruption and family politics. A quick analysis of the elections 2011 will show the vote swing from the DMK to the AIADMK alliance when compared to the previous election. Below are the important highlights of the TN elections 2011.
• The AIADMK and its alliance got 51.84% vote share in the TN assembly elections 2011.
• The DMK and its alliance managed only 39.41% in the concluded assembly elections.
• This gives a percentage difference of 12.43% in favour of the AIADMK alliance.
• AIADMK which contested in 160 out of the 234 constituencies secured a poll percentage of 39.08% with 1.44 crore voters voting for them.
• The DMK which contested in 119 constituencies managed a vote share of 82.34 lakh with a poll percentage of 22.38%.
• DMK's poll percentage is around 25% less than what they believed would have been their ideal poll percentage.
• Vijayakanth's DMDK party managed to do well in this election with poll percentage of 7.88% and 29 lakh vote share in this election.
• Congress which fared poorly in this election secured a low poll percentage of 9.3%. This goes against the belief that they hold around 20% vote share in Tamilnadu.
This clearly shows that not only the AIADMK but the alliance of the AIADMK had done well in this election. DMDK, CPI, CPI(M) and SMK had contributed well to the alliance which can be seen with the vote percentage that was polled in all the 234 constituencies.
On the other hand the DMK was let down poorly by their alliance partners. The DMK alliance partners like Congress, PMK and the VCK did not fare well in this election. This shows that people totally rejected the DMK and its alliance partners fair and square in this election 2011.