About Tamilnadu side dish recipe vadakari
Vadakari is a famous Tamilnadu recepie which is frequently used as a side dish in breakfast. The taste of vadakari is good and would make a perfect side dish for idlis and dosas. Couple of extra idli or dosa will go into our stomach when vadakari is the side dish for breakfast. Some people like to mix vadakari with boiled rice and have it in lunch. Either way, vadakari is an important traditional Tamilnadu recepie perpared in all houses in Tamilnadu.
Ingredients for Vada:
250 gm - channa dal
1 - onion
6 - red chilli
A small piece of ginger
A sprig of curry leaves
salt to taste
Required oil to fry
Ingredients for curry:
2 - Onion
2 - Tomatoes
1 tsp - Mustard seeds
1 tsp - Turmeric powder
2 tsb - Red chilli powder
1 tsp - Ginger garlic paste
3 - Green chillies
2tsp - Red chilli powder
Milk extracted from 1/2 coconut
1 tsp - coriander leaves
1 tsp - Mint leaves
3 - cloves
1 piece - cinnamon stick
Oil as required
salt to taste
How to prepare tasty Tamilnadu side dish recipe VadaKari
1.Channa dal has to be soaked for 3 to 4 hours and then grind coarsely along with red chillies. Add little amount of water as the coarse should come as a thich paste. Care should be taken not to grind to a fine paste.
2. Add little amount of chopped onions and curry leaves to the paste and mix it very well. Then prepare small vadas from the paste and fry it in oil. Avoid deep frying as it will change the taste of vadakari. Crush the vadas with your hands and keep it aside.
3. Pour oil in a kadai and heat the oil along with cloves, cinnamom sticks and the remaining chopped onions. We have to saute the onions in the kadai till it turns light brown color.
4. Add Ginger garlic paste in the kadai and fry it till the smell of raw ginger goes away.
5. To the mixture, chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, red chilli and turmeric powder has to be added. Add little amount of water and mix the mixture very well. Little amount of salt can be added to the mixture. All the ingredients has to be mixed well and has to be cooked in a medium flame for 10 minutes. You can close the kadai with a lid so that the curry is cooked quickly.
6. When the curry is cooked add the crushed vadas to the curry and mix it very well.
7. Add mint leaves and coriander leaves to the curry and cook for couple of minutes in medium flame.
8. When the leaves blend with the curry add coconut milk and boil for around 3 minutes in low flame.
9. Heat little amount of oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds, green chillies and coriander leaves to it. When the ingredients splutter remove it from flame and add it in the vadakari.
10. Serve hot with idlis and dosas.