Vadapalani Murugan Temple Chennai
Vadapalani Murugan Temple otherwise called as the Vadapalani Dandāyudhapani Temple is one of the famous temples in Chennai. This Murugan temple was built before 125 years and is considered as a sentimental place for marriage each and every year more than 7000 marriages are held in the Murugar Sannidhi. Read the article to know more about the Vadapalani Murugan Temple Chennai.
History of the Vadapalani Murugan Temple in Chennai
Annaswami Tambiran, a Lord Muruga devotee built this temple in the form of a small hut with a photo of the Lord for worshipping. He worshipped the lord with meditation and got some power and started giving arulvakku (future tense predictions). People believed his aruvakku because everything said by him became true. After his death he asked his friend Ratnaswami to take care of his temple. Ratnaswami also began to say arulvakku and he collected money from the people for buiding a temple for Muruga in that place. But before building he died then some religious persons came to know about this place and they contributed for building a very big temple for Lord Muruga. Kripananda Variyar gave a very big contribution and is considered as the important person in the history of the Vadapalani Murugan Temple. Thus this is the story behind the emerging of the Murugan temple in Chennai.
Sannidhis in Chennai Vadapalani Murugan Temple
There are lot of sannidhis for the other dieties in the Vadapalani Murugan Temple. They are as follows:
• Varasiddhi Vinayakar sannidhi
• Chokkanāthar sannidhi
• Mother Parvati sannidhi
• Kāli sannidhi
• Bhairava sannidhi
• Shanmuga sannidhi with Valli and Devasenā
• Angaragan or chevaai bhagavan,
• Goddess Durga
• Meenakshi Amman
• Varasiddhi Vinayaga
Other features of the Vadapalani Murugan Temple in Chennai
• The Vadapalani Murugan Temple contains a very large hall which was built for the purpose of any religious meetings, marriages, Ear piercing for kids, engagements, etc.
• The Vadapalani Murugan Temple moolavar or the main lord is in the standing position which remembers us of the Lord Palani Muruga in Palani, the place where Lord Muruga went removing all his belongings after a fight with Lord Shiva.
• Rajagopuram crowns the entrance of the Vadapalani temple Chennai.
• There are many paintings of the Skanda puranam in the temple walls.
• Skandha Shasthi Kavasam is written in the walls of the temple for the devotees.
• There is a large clean temple tank for the devotees.
• Angalaprameshwari temple and Perumal temple are present near the temple tank.
• The eastern side of the temple gopuram is 40.8 m in height and it contains the poses of bharatanatyam dance.
Daily pujas in Chennai Vadapalani Murugan Temple
Here is a list of daily pujas in Vadapalani Murugan Temple:
• 5:00 am: opening of the Nadai
• 5:30 am: opening of the Palli Arai
• 7:00 am: Abhishekam to Lord Muruga with milk
• 10:00 am: Abhishekam to Lord Muruga with Vibhuti
• 11:00 am: Abhishekam to Lord Muruga with Santanam
• 12:00 noon: Afternoon Puja
• 9:00 pm: Closing of Palli Arai
Festivals in Chennai Vadapalani Murugan Temple
• Skanda Sashti celebrations in the tamil month Aippasi.
• Panguni Uttiram in the tamil month Panguni.
• Karttikai thirunatchathiram each month.
Special dharshan tickets in Vadapalani Murugan Temple in Chennai
Special dharshan tickets are available to worship the lord without standing in the queues.
Cost of special dharshan tickets on ordinary days: Rs. 10
Cost of special dharshan tickets on special days: Rs. 20
How to reach the Vadapalani Murugan Temple in Chennai
Vadapalani Murugan Temple is located in the heart of the Chennai city.
Train route for Vadapalani Murugan Temple: The temple is located just 3kms from kodambakkam railway station. One can take up the train from Beach station or Tambaram station and get down at Kodambakkam railway station.
Bus route for Vadapalani Murugan Temple: There is a bus depot in Vadapalani which connects the place to all the parts of Chennai city. Some of the buses starting from here are 12b,12c,5e,17, etc.
Address of Vadapalani Murugan Temple:
Vadapalani Murugan Temple,
Andavar Koil Street, Vadapalani,
Chennai – 600024.
Phone: (91) 44 483-6903 or 530-1230,
Office hours: 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
For more information about Vadapalani Murugan Temple contact:
Tiruttikai Bhaktarkal Annadana Arakkattalai
Phone: (91) 44 372-0063, 481-2334, 489-3023, 372-0556, 484-0670