Happy Tamil New Year 2013 Celebrations with Tamil New Year Special Dishes
Tamil New Year is celebrated on 14th of April and is a very important festival for the tamilians. It is also called as Varsha Pirapu or Chitirai thirunal. Tamilians all over the world celebrate this festival with great joy and enjoyment. They celebrate the Tamil New year with their traditional foods and traditional dishes. Everyone would like to prepare a variety of foods and place them before God and worship for a great Tamil New year. As it is the starting day of the year, tamilians concentrate more on food so that the beginning of the year will be a memorable and happy one and also will continue throughout the year. Try this tasty and delicious Tamil New Year recipes and celebrate Tamil New Year.
Dal Vada - A spicy snack for Tamil New Year
Dal Vada or Masala Vada is a special snack variety served with the lunch menu of Tamil New Year. Taste the crispy masala vada on this auspicious day.
Ingredients for Tamil New Year recipe Dal Vada
1 cup – kadalai paruppu or gram dal, soaked in water for about 3 to 4 hours
2 - big onion, chopped finely
2 - green chilies
2 - red chillies
a pinch of asafoetida
A sprig of curry leaves
2 tbsp - grated coconut (optional)
1 tbsp - rice flour
1 tsp - saunf
salt as per taste
oil for deep frying
Method for Tamil New Year Recipe Dal Vada
1. Soak the dal for 2 to 4 hours in water.
2. Drain the water and grind the dal along with the chillies, saunf (sombhu), salt and asafetida.
3. Grind the dal in such a way that it should not be too coarse or too smooth.
4. Mix all the other ingredients together, except the oil.
5. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
6. Take small amount of the dal mixture and flatten them in between your palms.
7. Drop the dal vada into the hot oil and deep fry until it done.
8. Make sure to maintain a medium flame.
9. If the heat is too high, the outer part will become dark brown and the inner part will be only semi-cooked.
10. After you cook remove the vadas from oil and drain into paper towels.
11. Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Paruppu Poli - A sweet and mouthwatering Tamil New Year Recipe
Paruppu Poli is a mouthwatering recipe prepared by tamilians on all special festivals. This is a sweet prepared with kadalai paruppu and jaggery on Tamil New Year day.
Ingredients required for Tamil New Year Recipe Paruppu Poli
1 cup - maida
1 cup - bengal gram dal
1 cup - grated jaggery
1/2 cup - grated coconut, fresh
1/2 tsp - cardamom powder
A pinch of turmeric
approx 1 to 2 tbsp - broken cashews
1 little ghee
How to prepare Tamil New Year Recipe Paruppu Poli
1. Mix maida, turmeric and 1 tbsp of ghee, mix well and add water as needed to make into a soft dough.
2. Set aside covered with a cloth.
3. Cook the bengal gram dal to a mushy consistency.
4. Now to the cooked dal add jaggery, coconut and cardamom powder.
5. Mix well until the jaggery melts and then grind this to a smooth paste.
6. Roast the cashews and then add it to the dal-jaggery mixture.
7. Now take a small lime-sized ball from the dough and roll it out into a small circle.
8. Place a small ball sized dal-jaggery mixture in the middle of the dough.
9. Seal it by bringing the edges together and then press it in a plantain leaf like a chappati.
10. You can also use a chapatti roller.
11. Place this on top of a tawa, add ghee all around it and cook until golden brown spots appear.
12. Turn it around and similarly cook until golden brown.
Pal Payasam - A tasty Dessert for Tamil New Year
Pal Payasam is a special dish prepared on the day of Tamil New Year. This Pal Payasam is called as the King of all the payasams. Enjoy the day with this sweet payasam.
Ingredients required for Tamil New Year Recipe Pal Payasam
1 litre milk
1 cup of cooked rice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cardamom powder
1/2 cup condensed milk
Preparation of Tamil New Year Recipe Pal Payasam
1. Boil the milk , add condensed milk and sugar to cooked rice.
2. Stir well till the payasam thickens.
3. Cook the payasam on medium flame or else the it will stick to the bottom of the vessel.
4. Switch off the stove when the payasam is thick.
5. Add cardamom powder and raisins.
6. Stir the payasam and serve either hot or cold.
Mango Pachadi - A Sweet Pachadi for Tamil New Year
Sweet Mango Pachadi is a special dish prepared on the day of Tamil New Year Sweet preparations of raw mangoes is a must in the menu of Tamil New Year. This raw mango has a high content of iron and is good for anaemia. They also serve as antioxidants.
Ingredients required for Tamil New Year Recipe Sweet Mango Pachadi
1 - raw mango
1 cup - jaggery
1 tsp - mustard
A sprig of curry leaves
1 tbsp - sambar powder
1 tbsp - red chilly powder
A pinch of salt
Oil for frying
Method for Tamil New Year Recipe Sweet Mango Pachadi
1. Wash the mangoes and peel off the skin and grate them.
2. Boil this grated raw mango with water till it becomes soft to touch.
3. Break the jaggery into small pieces and add this to the cooked mango.
4. Take oil in a kadai, splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves.
5. Add the mango-jaggery mix to the kadai.
6. Add a pinch of salt, sambar powder and chilly powder.
7. Allow this to boil for 10 minutes.
8. Mangai pachadi is ready to be served.
Vepam Poo Pachadi - A Bitter Pachadi for Tamil New Year
Vempam Poo Pachadi is a special dish prepared on the day of Tamil New Year. Bitter preparations of neem flowers is a important dish added in the lunch menu of and raw mangoes are a must in the menu of Tamil New Year.
Ingredients required for Tamil New Year Recipe Vempam Poo Pachadi
1 - raw mango
5-6 - green chillies
1/2 tsp – jaggery
1 tsp - Vepampoo
1/2 tsp - oil
1tsp - ghee
Salt to taste
1 tsp - Mustard seeds
A sprig of curry leaves
A bunch of Coriander leaves
Method for Tamil New Year Recipe Vempam Poo Pachadi
1. Cut the raw mango into big cubes.
2. Boil the cubed mangoes with green chillies and salt.
3. When it is fully cooked add the jaggery.
4. Take oil in a kadai and splutter the mustard seeds.
5. Add the vepampoo in the kadai and fry till the flowers turn brown and start smoking.
6. Now add the cooked raw mango to the mixture.
7. Garnish this with curry leaves and coriander leaves.
Serve the above special Tamil New Year Recipes in the lunch menu and celebrate the auspicious day with tasty and delicious food.
Hello Mangala maam
Your article about the Tamil New Year have brought in the festival mood already. All your recipies are too good and brings in the flavour of Tamilnadu. Keep posting these kind of articles.