Story of the development of Tamil nadu transportations
Our ancient people used bullock carts, jhatkas, carts which are pulled by horse, and palanquins, a one sitter compartment carried by humans, as a means of transport. In those days there were no proper roads as we see now. The paths were created by human walking. They were the roads connecting between places. Proper roads were constructed during the period of Tipu sultan, their main use was for the wars. During his period, roads connecting Madras to Calcutta in the north and Travancore in the south were constructed.
Road ways department was started in 1952
In 18th century industrial revolution took place in United Kingdom. Eventually spread over the world. In 1845 new roads were constructed in the presidency. In 1852 the public works department was started by Lord Dalhousie. An officer was appointed for the construction of road and maintenance of existing one. The main roads under the officer were Madras-Bangalore road, Madras-Trichinopoly road, Madras-Calcutta road, Madras-Cuddapah road. The main high ways of Madras presidency were Madras-Calcutta road, Madras-Travacore road and madras-Calicut road.
In 1939 first motor vehicle act was passed
In the early 20th century the bullock carts and horses were replaced by motor vehicles and bicycles. Motor buses become the means of transport. In those days they were owned by private company. These buses were manufactured by Simpson co in madras. Presidency transport and city motor service were pioneers in operating bus service in madras in 1910. The first organized bus transport was operated by madras tramways corporation. In 1939 the motor vehicle act was passed for the restriction on public owned bus and motor services. With the growth of population the road ways too expanded. This is how, the road transport came in to existence.
Royapuram was the first railway station in south India
In 1845 madras Railway Company was started for construction of railway lines. In 1853 the first Railway station in south India was constructed at Royapuram Chennai. It was the headquarters for madras Railway Company. The first railway line was laid between madras and arcot in the south India. It started its service to public on 1 July 1856. The madras railway company operated board gauge lines. In 1908 it was merged with south Mahratta railway to form madras and south Mahratta Company. In Egmore a new terminus was built for Madras and south Mahratta Railway Company. In 1947 it was taken over by government.
Suburban electric train service started in 1931
The meter-gauge lines were operated by great south Indian Railway Company. It was merged with carnatic Railway Company in 1874 and named as southern Indian railway company. In 1891 it was merged with pondichery Railway Company. In 1927 it moved its head quarters from Madurai to Madras central now Chennai central. In 1931 May, it started to operate suburban electric train service. In recent past the reservation services was computerized. This how, the railway transports come in to existence.
Developments of waterways transport in Chennai
In 1806 Buckingham canal was constructed. It connected madras to the delta of the Kistma River at peddaganajam. The sea routes of the ships of British India steam navigation company were connected to madras now Chennai. They started services for Calcutta, Bombay, Colombo and Rangoon from madras. In 1855 east coast canal was constructed to start sea route transport. Now the water ways is mainly used for transporting machineries, crude oil, coal, and other edible goods across the world.
In 1927 first flight test in Chennai
Simpson co was first to experiment the test flight of the aero plane in madras now Chennai in 1927. In 1929 a flying club was established at mount golf club grounds near st Thomas mount. Pilot G.Vlasto established that. This was later became as madras aerodrome. In 1932 J.R.D.Tatas plane operated from Bombay to madras now Chennai through Bellary carrying air-mail. Later year’s gradual expansion occurred. Now we see international service with excellent aerodrome.
More articles: TNSTC