A short Introduction of Kaviarasu Kannadasan
Kaviyarasu Kannadasan contribution to Tamil Literature is enormous. He Wrote several of Epics, Novels, Essays, 6000+ Poems, Dramas, Auto-Biographies, 5000+ Film Lyrics etc. are all in print form. 232 Books are already Published. His first job was a Clerk in Ajax Company, Tirivatriyur, Chennai at the age of 13 while he worked on various jobs like 1944-Editor in "Tirumagal " and in 1945-46 worked as Editor in "Tharai Oli" and "Methavi".
Biography of Kannadasan
- Name : A. L. Muthiah
- Star Name : Kaviarasu Kannadasan
- Other Names : Karaimuthu Pulavar, Vanangamudi, Kamakappriya
- Mother Tongue : Tamil
- Date Of Birth : June 24, 1927(1927-06-24)
- Date of Death : 17 October 1981 in Chicago, United States,
- Born in Place : Sirukudalpatti, Tamil Nadu, India
- Born With : 2 brothers and 6 Sisters Born as 8th child out of the 9.
- Career : poet, novelist, lyricist, politician, film producer, editor
- First Lyric: 1949-Kalangathiru Maname,Film-Kanniyin Kaathali.
- Spouse(s): Ponnazhagi, Parvathi
- Father : Sathappan
- Mother : Rajamani Ammal
- Children : 9 Sons and 5 Daughters
- Education :Pre School-Sirukudalpatti.Higher School-Up to 8th Standard,Only at Amaravathi Pudur(Near Karaikudi).
- First Poem : 1944-Kalai Kulithizhendhu.
- First Epic Poem :"Maangani" -1952 – 53 this epic was written when the poet was in jail for protesting against the government. He also wrote first Story and Dialogue Written in 1952 - 53 while in prison for a Tamil film "Illara Jothi".
Awards received by Kannadasan
1970: Received Indian government Award for Best Lyricist and State Government Award for Best Lyricist.
1978: Government of Tamil Nadu nominated and honored him as the "Poet Laureate of Tamil Nadu".
1979: Sahitya Academy Award for "Cheraman Kadhali" – A Historical Novel.
1979: Raja Annamalai Arasar Memorial Award: – As a Best Poet.
Political History and Final days of Kaviarasu
In 1949 Kaviarasu was the Founder Member of the DMK Party. But he left DMK in 1961 and started his own party "Tamil Desiya Katchi" during 1962 -63 and in 1964- 66 he merged the party with congress and became the commitee member for All India Congress Party (A.I.C.C) In 1968-69 he ran a Monthly Magazine and Dailyon the name "Kannadhasan",but the first monthly started by the poet was in 1954 "Thendral Weekly" "Thendral Thari" and "Chandamarutham" which released Bi Monthly and "Mullai" as Monthly in 1957. All are literary Magazines .In 24.7.1981, he was admitted in chicago as a patient and attained immortality on 17.10.1981 there itself. Mortal remains brought to Chennai on 20.10.1981. On 22.10.1981 his body was Cremated with Government Honors. Millions Payed their respects to the great poet.