A brief history of AIADMK party How did Jayalaitha party AIADMK formed?
• 1972 All India Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) party came into existence. It was founded on October 17, 1972 by Maruthar Gopalamenon Ramachandran popularly known as MGR
• In this year symbol of AIADMK party election symbol 'Two Leaves' was adopted.
• AIADMK party has tasted his first victory in the same year by Dindigul bye-elections. This party has created a history by winning with a margin of more then 1.5 lakh votes margin.!!
• Party has changed the name to All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) from Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam party.
• In 1977 elections AIADMK party has won 18 seats. Dr.MGR was sworn in as chief minister of Tamilnadu on June 30, 1977
• The AIADMK defeated DMK party and emerged as a stunning party by winning 127 of the 195 seats it contested.
• In the year 1980 there held Assembly elections, MGR and his AIADMK party won again and came back to power. A big blow to congress party.
• MGR became chief minister again on June 9, 1980
• AIADMK is the first party to to introduction of Noon Day Meal called as "Nutritious Meal" for school children.
• It is the time where relations between the Congress party and the AIADMK party is getting loosened.
• Congress party allied with DMK party and won 37 seats out of 39 where as AIADMK has won just 2.
• For the first time J. Jayalalithaa has came into picture.
• Jayalalithaa was elected as member of Rajya Sabha.
• MGR's health was not good and subsequently getting hospitalized. Managed to win 12 Lok sabha election in 1984.
• ADMK party has merged in AIADMK and Jayalalitha has become the leader of the two groups.
• After the dissimal of Dr. MGR he party has broken down into 2 groups, one lead by Janaki Ramachandran and the other by J. Jayalalithaa
• Due to the party separation M Karunanidhi party DMK wins the election after 20 years. This was one of the great achievement in DMK crown.
• In the same year, the two separated parties has came together and won the assembly by-election in Madurai West Marungapuri.
• In 1990, The DMK government was dismissed by the central government led by prime minister Chandra Shekhar Singh.
• Elections were postponed to June 15 from May 24 due to Rajiv Gandhi's assassination.
• AIADMK has swept the assembly elections by winning 164 seats and J.Jayalalithaa became the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
• Jayalalitha was arrested on December 7th,1996 and kept in central jail,
• AIADMK has managed to win only 4 assembly seats.
• In 1988 AIMDMK party has marched forwarded with the alliance of BJP, MDMK, PMK, TRC and Janata Party.
• 18 out of 21 candidates who contested on behalf of the AIADMK has won the elections.
• Jayalalithaa won the Tamilnadu 2001 assembly election to become chief minister once again.
• Many cases were pending, after having been cleared by the courts she became chief minister.
• Many popular decisions were taken at this time, like banning lottery tickets, liquor restrictions etc
• A great tragedy in Tamilnadu, the state is hit by Tsunami
• Jayalalitha has sent a special task force to the Satyamangalam forests in October 2004 and Sandalwood smuggler Veerappan shot dead.
• AIADMK party lost all parliamentary seats to opposition
• The party lost and pushed out of power by DMK party which is led by M Karunanidhi.