A Short Description about Tamil Recipe Thenga Poli
Thenga Poli is a traditional South Indian Tamil Recipe which is almost made at every house in Tamilnadu during festival season. Tamil Recipe Thenga Poli is a sweet dish which is loved by everyone for its rich taste. It is wonderful when taken hot or warm and it is usually served as puja prasadam on festivals like Shivarathri, Navarathri festival and also to welcome New Year celebrations.
Ingredients Required for Tamil Recipe Thenga Poli:
Bengal gram dal - 2 cups
Maida - 2 cups
Jaggery - 2 cups
Coconut scrapings - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Gingelly oil - 4 teaspoon
Ghee for frying
Method: How to Make Festival Tamil Recipe Thenga Poli
1. Make a soft and smooth dough with maida flour and water. Add gingerlly oil to it and keep aside for at least three hours.
2. Boil the gram and strain it.
3. Fry coconut scrapings and cardamom powder to a golden colour, in a teaspoonful of ghee.
4. Without adding water, grind the gram, coconut and jaggery to a fine paste. Make into balls and keep aside.
5. Take the dough and make that also into balls, equal in number to the other balls.
6. Take a small piece of banana leaf and apply oil to it.
7. Spread the maida dough slightly on the leaf and in the centre keep the gram ball and cover it properly with the dough. Flatten well.
8. Remove from leaf and roast on a fry pan pouring a little ghee all around the poli.
9. Delicious Tamil Festival Recipe Thenga Poliis ready to relish.