A Short Description About Tamil Recipe Brinjal Kootu/Kathirikai Kootu:
Brinjal Kootu/Kathirikai Kootu is South Indian Tamil Recipe which is popular and common dish in Tamil Nadu. This is one of the best recipe and it occupies a special place in Tamil Nadu meals. Tamil Recipe Brinjal Kootu/Kathirikai Kootu can be mixed with Steamed rice or a combination of kootu with Chappathi is yet delicious. You'll like this Tamil Recipe Brinjal Kootu/Kathirikai Kootu as it provides the protein and nutrition which are very much required for a day, to be healthy. It goes very well with Steamed Rice or as a side dish to Tamil Recipe Tamarind rice.
Ingredients Required for Tamil Recipe Brinjal Kootu/Kathirikai Kootu:
Brinjal - 6 nos.
Bengal gram(Kadalai Paruppu) - 5 tablespoonfuls
Tamarind - 10 grams
Coriander seeds - 1 teaspoonful
Red chillies - 3 or 4 (to your spicy level)
Coconut scrapings - 2 tablespoonful
Jaggery - 1 small piece
Urad dal - 1 teaspoonful
Mustard - 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida - a pinch
Oil for Cooking
Salt to taste
Steps to Make Tamil Recipe Brinjal Kootu/Kathirikai Kootu:
1. Wash and cut brinjals into long bits.
2. Fry one tablespoonful of Bengal gram, Coriander seeds and Red chillies together. Fry Coconut separately.
3. Grind the fried ingredients with little bit of water to a fine paste.
4. Cook brinjals with two tablespoonfuls of bengal gram in half a cup of water.
5. When the brinjal becomes tender add extracted tamarind juice and the ground paste. Add jaggery and mix well.
6. Cook till the raw smell goes off and add salt to taste.
7. When cooked well season with mustard, urad dal, asafoetida, one red chillie and few curry leaves.
8. Now the Tamil Recipe Brinjal Kootu/Kathirikai Kootu is ready to serve with Steamed Rice or as a side dish to Chappathi, Rasam and so on.
Images of Brinjal Kootu/Kathirikai Kootu with Accompaniments:
More articles: Tamil recipes