Tamil University, Thanjavur
Name – Tamil University
Established year of Tamil University – 1981
Chancellor of Tamil University – Governor of Tamil Nadu (Surjit Singh Barnala)
Vice Chancellor of Tamil University – Dr. M.Rajendran
Location of Tamil University – Thanjavur
Website of Tamil University – www.tamiluniversity.ac.in
Tamil University is spreading over 900 acres, largest University in Tamil Nadu by area. The objective of Tamil University is comprise a higher research in Tamilology and offers advanced studies in Translation, Linguistics, Drama, Music, etc.
Tamil University offers M.Phil and Ph.D courses in disciplines like Language, translation, Architecture from the year of 1992.
Faculty of Arts
Faculty of Arts having 3 departments
1. Department of Sculpture – This department established in the year of 1981. Sculpture department has undertaken many research projects and so far prepared four volume Encyclopedia of Hindu Iconography.
2. Department of Music – The objective of this department is to encourage students to undertake higher level of research study in music and guide them accordingly.
3. Department of Drama
Faculty of Manuscriptology
Faculty of Manuscriptology having 4 departments
1. Department of Palmleaf Manuscriptology – The objective of this department is collecting rare and valuable Palm Leafs from ancient Temples, Mutts and traditional Scholars
2. Department of Rare Paper Manuscriptology - This Department has 320 Tamil literary scripts, 625 rare printed books, 300 letters and 25 maps.
3. Department of Epigraphy – This department deals with the Study of Copper Plates and inscriptions.
4. Department of Underwater Archaeology Centre
Faculty of Developing Tamil
1. Department of Tamil Studies in Foreign Countries – The objective of this department is to promote Tamil Studies in foreign Countries and prepare study material for those foreigners who willing to study Tamil.
2. Department of Translation – The objective of this department is to translate Tamil literatures into other languages.
3. Department of Scientific Tamil and Tamil Development – The objective of this department is to develop Tamil with modern scientific innovations by bringing out publications.
4. Department of Lexicography
5. Department of Social Science
6. Department of Education
Faculty of Language
1. Faculty of Language has the following departments.
2. Department of Literature
3. Department of Linguistics
4. Department of Philosophy
5. Department of Tribal Research Centre
6. Department of School of Indian Languages
7. Department of Folklore
Faculty of Science
1. Faculty of Science has the following departments.
2. Department of Siddha Medicine
3. Department of ancient Science
4. Department of Industries and Earth Sciences
5. Department of Computer Science
6. Department of Architecture
7. Department of environmental and Herbal Science
Library in Tamil University
The building of Library is the replica of the Indian parliament. This library is not only having new books and also having ancient and rare books. As of now library has total number of 136324 books.
Gallery and Museum
Gallery and Museum is which portrays the Tamil Culture and Tamil People is available ib Tamil university. Museum in Tamil University is carefully designed to provide the source material for research work on Tamil People. The collections are grouped in Museum as like below
7. Household Articles
8. Musical intruments
Contact Details of Tamil University
Thiru G. Panneer Selvam,
Public Relation Officer,
Contact Number of Tamil University: 04362-226720
E-mail Id of Tamil University: firstname.lastname@example.org
I saw your website it is more useful to Tamil learner at international level. I want some books for competitive examination, we know the book name only . But we do not know were available because these books are very old and out off print.
Tamil illkkiya kalangiyam book author Vebulananthan Idinaipathippagam,
Tamil illakkiya kalangiyam book author Devira rajendiran. please help to me where its available. its available in our university, may I come and xerox it sir. thanking you.