You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Numbers in Tamil

The whole world is using our symbols 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 for numbers of any size and we introduced this user-freindly decimal system thousands of years ago. We have beautiful Tamil names for really really big nubmers while others know only upto million or billion or trillion at most. The western countries are proud of us.
    For example 1 followed by 22 zeros is called MAHAYUGAM.
    the nubmer 1 followed by 21 zeros is called MUKKODI
    If you need to know more about this please contact me.
    Thanks for reading this.
    S. Ekambaram thanks for sharing this good information.

1 followed by 22 zeros is called MAHAYUGAM
    1 followed by 21 zeros is called MUKKODI

That is the new information to us. Please share more information on this and members like me will be more benefited to know.

K Mohan

Theeinal Sutta Punn Arumay...Aaradhey Naavinaal Sutta Vadu...

Dear Mohan:
    I am glad you liked it. Numbers 0 and 1 are just enough for everything. As a matter of fact, the information highway connected by millions of computers just use the binary number system 0 and 1. Any character, number or symbol or alpha-numeric character is just a sequence of 0's and 1's.
    The number zero is "soonyam". It can't be seen. But the ubmer one is something concrete and you can see one, like one man, one book etc., In Thamizh, we can say ZERO=ARUVAM; ONE=URUVAM;
    "URUVAI ARUVAI ULADHAI ILADHAI..." This is Thamizh KadaviL song. Lookig forward for comments from people out there,

S.Ekambaram

Thank You Sharing the Valuable information With us.We also looking for your Good posts in Tamil Spider.
    Bhisma Narayan Rout
    Webmaster of Orissa spider

Hi,
    Thank you for giving us some idea about the largest numbers in tamil, But the fact is that all these numbers is in the origin of tamil language of which its writing style was absolutely like telugu letters, It was called as Brahmi Letters and they were old about 20000 years old. Hence a famous quote says that "Kal Thondrri Man Thondra Kalathe Mun Thondriya Mootha Kudi Tamizh Kudi" which designates the old nature and longevity of tamizh language.

Regards,
    Siyaram.G
    Love makes Lyf Beautiful.
    Advance Happy New Year 2011.

Dear Tamil Spider Readers:
    I am sending herewith an attachment in power point. Why we write 0 to 9 in this way? These symbols, now followed by the whole world, are a result of life lived by our ancestors in Tamilnadu who lived in harmony with nature. The idea is from Vethathiri Maharishi from Aliyar and I gave a visual proof.
    Enjoy. Have a great rewarding year today and everyday.

Life-begins.ppt

Delete Attachment

I just saw the power point presentation and its really great to note the contents and thanks for educating us this way. It seems you are having good capabilities to share nice things and proceed further with same zeal.

K Mohan

Theeinal Sutta Punn Arumay...Aaradhey Naavinaal Sutta Vadu...

Hello Sir,

This is definitely a great information. I have already heard that the origin of the Numbers came from the Tamil language. Tamil language is unique when compared to the other language. It takes whole day explain the unique nature of the Tamil language. If we consider the Other languages like Hindi or any other language we can say that it was born from the Sanskrit language. But till now it is very difficult to predict the origin of the Tamil language. When we go for making resemblance with the other old languages of India like Sanskrit and Grantham, it is difficult to say that Tamil language was born based on those languages. Like the origin of the Grantham and Sanskrit, the Tamil language origin is also very unique.

I will tell you how bad is the English language. We have lots of relations in our indian culture and we call every relation with different names for example,
    Chittappa, Perippa, Mama etc but for all these words there is only one word in english and that is "Uncle".

There is also one more example that can be given. I will give one sentence in Tamil. "Nee unga Veettula Ethanavathu Kozhandhai". This particular sentence cannot be translated in English at all. The English language is designed that poor.

Thanks & Regards
    S. Balasubramanian
    Site Coordinator Tamilspider
    Webmaster Chennaispider

Quote: "There are no accidents" - Kung fu Panda

And one more thing. English just has only 26 letter and with that they are planning to rule the whole world. They are trying to spread their language to the maximum in all the countries all over the world. It can also be said that in future there will not be importance for the mother tongue in this world. In this manner many languages have already gone extinct.

English just has only 26 letters but when we compare it with tamil, we have
    Uyir Ezhuthu
    Mei Ezhuthu
    Uyir Mei Ezhuthu

And also with this we have me most highly gifted letter 'ழ' which is not present in any of the world languages and this is the reason why our tamil language stands to be unique. This ழ is not even present in our other ancient languages like Grantham and Sanstrit.

Thanks & Regards
    S. Balasubramanian
    Site Coordinator Tamilspider
    Webmaster Chennaispider

Quote: "There are no accidents" - Kung fu Panda

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.