You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Chennai

Laddo in thirupathi

Why putting laddu in thirupathi instead of something else.
    Ganga Narayanan i think you are new member of this site and a warm welcome to this forum. By the way what you want to say in this post is not clear. Please make a clear point to elicit good response from us.

K Mohan

Theeinal Sutta Punn Arumay...Aaradhey Naavinaal Sutta Vadu...

I just want to know the reason for putting laddu as prashadam in Thirupathi. Is there any story behind that.

it was a good question and i can share a little information about it here .

Actually in early days MANOHARAM was served as naivedyam to Lord Venkateshwara which was made out of rice flour and jaggery juice.

Later it was KALYANAM IYYENGAR who actually introduced Laddu to be offered for the naivedyam.

In 1940,On occasion of kalyanamahosthavam for Lord venkateshwara, the TTD (Tirupathi Tirumala Devasthanam) group offered first of its kind LADDU to Lord which is actually a hindu ritual to offer the sweet in lunch/dinner during the marriage.Later they also started offering the same during Dharmadarshanam.After public's overwhelming demand for the same,it had been an integral part of the temple.

Now the Tirupathi laddu has been awarded with geographical copyright.

Thanks Anita for sharing good information on Laddu being served at Tirumala. Oflate the quality of Laddu is the great concern. When we performed Kalyanana Utsavam in 1987, they used to give big laddus and vadas as prasadams and now they have stoped to provide that.

K Mohan

Theeinal Sutta Punn Arumay...Aaradhey Naavinaal Sutta Vadu...

Thank U Anitaji & Mohanji for the reply 2 my question.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.