You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

What do we do when a child asks for the food laid for Neivaidhyam?

Tamilnadu celebrates hundreds of festivals and every festival has hordes of delectable goodies.

We make kozhukattai(three varieties)for Varalakshmi Vrittam along with vadai,appam and payasam..Same for Ganesh chaturthi.

We make sheedai,murukku,appam,vadai,athirsam etc for Krishna Jayanthi.

The list goes on.

But my point is this.

When there are young children in the house and many elders or relatives around,when the Naivedhyam is offered to the Gods,the children(who are too young to understand that they cannot eat the naivedhyam but only the prasad) want to take a kozhukattai or vadai before it is offered to the Gods,how do we react?

Do we explain to them that they can eat only after the Gods have eaten? and make them wait and watch pathetically?

Or do we do the puja in a hurry so they can eat?

Or do we let them take a kozhukattai?

Or do we divert them and send them out of the room?

This is a question that has been rankling my mind for ages. So what do we do?
    Gayathri thanks for posting a natural question which i experienced with our kids. Kids wont know the importance of festival and are always eager to taste the recipes even before its shows to the god. I always dissuade them not to ask and be patient till the puja rituals are over. But still i cannot see them waiting for and eventually ending up to their wishes.

K Mohan

Theeinal Sutta Punn Arumay...Aaradhey Naavinaal Sutta Vadu...

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.