You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

தமிழ் நாட்டில் காபி உசத்தியா அல்லது டீ உசத்தியா

Please discuss whether Coffee or tea famous in TN.

K Mohan
    Hello Mohan Sir,

Tamilnadu is famous for its coffee. Our tradition and culture is to offer the host who comes to our house with Coffee. In most tamil families as soon as they get from their bed have coffee only.

Regards
    Sowmya

Regards
    Sowmya

Sowmya i expected you to respond and you have done this. Yes Coffee is our famous drink prefered by all tamilians and tea takes back seat aftet coffee. And filter coffee is preffered most by all of us. I think you also agree with that.

K Mohan

Theeinal Sutta Punn Arumay...Aaradhey Naavinaal Sutta Vadu...

Filter coffee is the best and most preferred by South Indians.

When I was young when people called on us,the first thing they would ask my mother or grandmother was ,'Chuda(hot), a cup of filter cappi.'

In fact coffee time in the morning and in the evening was a very welcome part of the day especially if it was accompanied by bonda or bajjis and chutney.

But I think trends are changing now. People have got the option of filter capi to instant coffee,tea and green tea which is healthier as per recent researches.

Nowadays I can hear the modern South Indian man mourning the days when his mother made the best filtercapi.Now he says that his wife makes the worst filter capi ever.

Many houses would not even have filters,if I may be right. In those days cooks or grandmother would wake up early in the morning and draw hot water for the filter and even from the bedroom we could sleepily hear the 'hiss' of the hot water being poured into the filter.

But nowadays we are too busy to get up in the morning to brew filter capi. In many houses,filter decoction, I am sorry to say is brewed over the night,so the decoction will be ready in the morning.

In houses where the number of people is less the decoction gets overstayed and is repeated for even a day or more,being stored in the fridge.

It loses all its flavour and fragrance,that way.

So people get to the next best alternative instant coffee that can be brewed anytime and any minute.

Tea is also a good option,I should say. Unlike for coffee you can add many other ingredients to tea that will make it tasty and a little healthy,too.You can add sukku and make sukku tea or add masalas for masala tea. You can get tea masala from any department store for a nice cup of masala chai.In my uncle's house,their tea jar has a lot ofcardamom peels stored along with tea.

My aunty does not waste the used cardamom peels but adds it to make a yummy tea. When she grates ginger to make venn pongal, she adds the grated ginger peel to her hot cup of tea to make ginger tea.See,nothing goes waste when you're a tea drinker.

In older days people had coffee bean grinding machines at home so they could make goodcapi.But now capi powders have lost their real ancient flavour and milk is not as tasty as it was before.

So I guess many South Indians have turned to drinking instant coffee and tea.

Naan maariyachu,appa neenga?

hi,

it is my first post in tamil spider and i happy to post it because i like Tea. defenetly Tea gets the first place. so that we call Tea kadai, Tea break, 'oru Tea sollunga mams...like that.

students who doing night studies want Tea. workers in night shift want Tea. in a Tea shop we can see people order Tea more then coffee.

Gayathri Krishnan thanks for responding to this thread in a detailed manner and supporting coffee as your favourite. As you said nothing can match to the taste of hot filter coffee and the day begins with that in right earnest.

K Mohan

Thanks Vivek for joining this site and welcome to you in this forum section. Since you made a begining here, i request you to go through the rules and regulations of this site and respond.

I came to know that you prefer tea to Coffee and thats a rare choice.

K Mohan

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.