Forums » Ask about Tamilnadu » Miscellaneous »

Tamil - pronunciation and writing in english

Posted Date: 11 Jun 2010      Posted By:: Varun Profile photo    Member Level: Gold    Member Rank: 36     Points: 1   Responses: 20

Hi all,

Is it correct to write 'Tamil' as 'Tamil' or 'Tamizh'?

'iZh' sound is used at end of the word Tamizh, right? Then why do we write as if it is 'il' sound, in English?

How many agree with me, it should be Tamizh and not Tamil?

Best,
Varun

"I was a nut, before becoming a tree!"

Responses

#581    Author: Varun      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 36     Date: 11/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

Oh by the way, it is supposed to be Thamizh precisely.

Best,
Varun

#587    Author: K MOHAN      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 42     Date: 11/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

The word Tamizh itself great.

No other language has the precise words to compare the exact pronounciation of Tamizh.

Tamizhikku amudhedru payr

K Mohan

Theeinal Sutta Punn Arumay...Aaradhey Naavinaal Sutta Vadu...

#588    Author: Balasubramanian Srinivasan      Member Level: Diamond      Member Rank: 1     Date: 11/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 5

Hi varun,

In one of the forum earlier i used the word Tamil as Tamizh only. And kumaraditya asked me why is that so. You have also come with the same question. I have also been wondering how it would be if the tamil nadu government take initiative to change the word Tamil to Tamizh. We focus more on the pronunciation of the English words but why are we not focusing on the pronunciation of the tamizh words. There should definitely be a change for this issue. Our Kalaignar is changing many things in this city. He is even changing the boards in the shops to Tamizh boards. Why dont he change the word Tamil into Tamizh. It will be more great if he change the word to even Sendhamizh.

Everybody focus on the English language but the same importance should also be given to our Tamizh language also. So i definitely agree with your statement varun.

Thanks & Regards
S. Balasubramanian
Site Coordinator Tamilspider
Webmaster Chennaispider

Quote: "There are no accidents" - Kung fu Panda

#638    Author: radhika      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 157     Date: 15/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 4 (Rs 1)

It should be TAMIZH and not TAMIL.
Tamizh is the only language in the world that has got "ZH"(THE Zhagaram Pronunciation).I honestly think we all should be proud of it as thamizh people. I recently read this from a book that in Niagara Falls, IN the USA, there is a 'Welcome Board in Tamizh telling. 'Niagara'virkku varuga varuga. Tamizh is the ancient most language in the world.

I think we should take the pride to say others that we are TAMIZH.

SEMMOZHIYAANA THAMIZH MOZHIYAAM...
VAAZHIYA VAAZHIYAVEY...

regards,
radhika.d

#646    Author: nethra      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 138     Date: 15/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

it should be tamizh not tamil..

#655    Author: Chandra Shekar R      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 47     Date: 15/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3

Whatever we write or type, either TAMIL or THAMIZH, we people of Tamil Nadu always pronounce them correctly as THAMIZH and not TAMIL.

We people are always passionate towards our Mother Tongue. And hopefully, this passion never decends. Since, ENGLISH is most common language in use, starting from cell phones to internet sites and everything else that comes under the count, we are forced to adapt their language (ENGLISH) to communicate in our Mother Tongue "TAMIL".

#692    Author: Kumaraditya Sarkar      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 45     Date: 18/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 5

Hello friends!

Yes, as Balasubramanian has already said I had asked him before why is it so and learned the pronunciation. I wholeheartedly support your views that the Tamil Government must take steps for this. But friends, I think it will be wiser to use Tamil in TamilSpider rather than Thamizh or Tamizh.

Let me elaborate. The popular name is Tamil across the world just like 90 percent of the world populations still say Calcutta instead of Kolkata. So, when anyone will be searching anything on Tamilnadu, especially from outside the state or even outside India, chances will be more for him to her to stumble in TamilSpider if we use the word Tamil here and not Thamizh. For the betterment of the site (and if the site earns more we will be earning more too, remember that!), we must compromise with this for the sake of SEO.

Nevertheless, I am in no way an SEO guru and I await the response of the adepts regarding this.

Regards,

Kumaraditya Sarkar.

Regards,
Kumaraditya Sarkar
Site Co-ordinator, SpiderWorks Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

Surprising CTR, CPC and eCPM in Punjabspider!

#705    Author: Thejeswari      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 149     Date: 20/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2 (Rs 1)

I say Tamil is right.
Not all the words are same in pronounciation and written.
'Tamil' is given in English whereas when we write in Tamil we write it as 'Tamilzh'.
There is no matter how we write it. It is only the way How we use it.
It is the way how we use the language efficiently.

#713    Author: Varun      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 36     Date: 21/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

^ ^

Definitely *not*

Actually, vazhai pazham is to be pronunced as vazhai pazham and not valai palam. if u start writing it as valai palam, pronunciation will be only in that way. Tamil means the 'il' which is actually a blunder. 'izh' sound is to be used for correct pronunication...

Best,
Varun

#729    Author: giriraj      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 137     Date: 23/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 1

The word thamizh is correct. If you see the word Tamil Nadu,then the Tamil using also correct.

#738    Author: Shaikh Izaj Ahmed      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 280     Date: 25/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 1

I dont know any thing about it, Better write in details to explain about Tamil and why it is call Tamil.

------------------
Thanks & Regards
CEO Siaar Group

#756    Author: Minu      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 255     Date: 26/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

hi frnds,
I think its better use tamizh instead of tamil but the problem is the whole world(mostly outside our country ) is used to the word tamil rather than thamizh , so if we gonna have such a change??????

#776    Author: Balaji      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 19     Date: 27/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 5

'zh' which is the ZHagaram in Tamil is the unique letter that we find

ழ்

in only tamil language. So feel proud to use it as much as possible.

#812    Author: udaykumar      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 01/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

the word tamizh is the right pronounciation

#833    Author: Gayathri devi G      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 03/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

I agree with you. It is correct to write 'Tamil' as 'Tamizh'?

As you say 'iZh' sound is used at end of the word Tamizh. So,

I agree with you, it should be Tamizh and not Tamil?

Gayathri

#974    Author: jamesmagudes      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 127     Date: 20/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3 (Rs 2)

According to me,
its tamizh.
because of the last word in the 'tamil' sounds like lakaram.
So,i definitely said that whenever we translate the words like 'Mutthamiz'last letters are iz'.
Therefore, We decide Tamizh" as the right choice for the tamil word.
But,Internet also say a mistaken when i write tamizh'
what a English language ?

tank you

#1064    Author: Vadivel A      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 170     Date: 09/Aug/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 1

Hi guys,

Tamil we called in tamizh because zharam sound its coming in tamil"ZH"

Best,
vadivel.A

#1189    Author: furosekhan      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 22/Aug/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3 (Rs 1)

TAMIL is the word given to us by the "ENGLISH" people. . . only tamil has the letter "ZH". so, other people don't know about that letter.

#1292    Author: Gayathri Krishnan      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 54     Date: 30/Aug/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 4

It should be pronounced Tamizh and spelt so,accordingly. Just as Madrashas become Chennai,maybe Tamilnadu can also be changed to Tamizhnadu as we write andcall it in Tamizh.

Maybe the word Tamizh will be hard for nonTamizhs to pronounce.

Even among the Tamizh some people pronounce in tmil.

One day I was revising the names of countries and states with my son who is inLKG. For the name of our state I said, '

,'Our state is Tamilnadu.'

'Amma,it is not Tamilnadu. It is Tamizhnadu,' he said.

That is the way his teacher had taught him and it had impressed him.

Let us follow the same.

#1294    Author: sakthivelrajan      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 143     Date: 30/Aug/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 1

The specility of tamil language is by its pronounsation.pronounce as tamizh only gives the nature of its sweetness grammatically

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.

Return to Discussion Forum
Start new thread

Online TSR members

More...
Awards & Gifts
Active Members
Today
    Last 7 Daysmore...

TSR top 5 performers

Kiran Kumar

kavitha gopal

Kiran Kumar