You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Discuss: Will there be any advantage in making Thirukkural compulsory for the school students?

This thread is to discuss the opinion poll topic 'Will there be any advantage in making Thirukkural compulsory for the school students?'.
    Hello Mr. Balasubramaian!

Thanks for coming up with this thread. Yes, I would like to advocate strongly for having Thirukkural in the school syllabai. Frankly speaking, I have no idea whatsoever about the school curriculum of Tamil Nadu, but even from my very limited resource on Thirukkural, I strongly suggest that it should and must be read by each and every student.

Having a human body does not suffice to become a human being. Becoming a human being means the manifestation of the divinity hidden innately in man. And, we need ethics for this. The 1330 Kurals by Thiruvalluvar will promote this badly needed ethics amongst us. They are the aphorisms of ancient Tamil Nadu, its wisdom epitomised, and has been serving mankind for nearly two thousand years. Even if we forget all about ethics, we must read it only as a pioneering text of Tamil literature.

It is a pity that we Indians love to remain ignorant of and indifferent to our tradition and cultures. Look at France. They have held in high esteem their seventeenth century magnum opus, Reflections ou sentences et maximes morales by La Rochefoucauld. The text has been translated into most of the major languages. And what are we Indians doing about Thirukkural? I too would have not even heard the name of the book, had I not had to prepare a paper on Indian ethics a few months back.

Thanks a lot once again for starting this discussion. I would like each and every member of TamilSpider, young and old alike, to share his or her views on Thirukkural here and promote the discussion further.

Kumaraditya Sarkar.

Kumaraditya Sarkar
    Site Co-ordinator, SpiderWorks Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

Surprising CTR, CPC and eCPM in Punjabspider!

Hai everybody,
    Definitely it is an advantage.
    Each and every student not only students all Tamilians should read Thirukkural, it is an ancient Tamil Treasure authored by sage-poet Thiruvalluvar about 2,000 years ago.The values given in Thirukkural is nothing but Personality Development of a person and the Personality Development of a sociery.
    It is little difficult to understand but the Tamil guides can help us to get the meaning.
    Nowadays the students are very luckey they have Media and technology called Multimedia in their schools.All the 1,330 couplets can now be played in Multimedia with suitable examples.

Hello Kavitha Madam!

I appreciate your advocating for Thirukkural, and especially your idea of playing the 1,330 couplets of Kurals in multimedia with suitable example. In this techno-age, not many people go back to the libraries and pick up gems from the dust of book racks. Hence, if your idea of updating the process of promoting Thirukkural can actually be implemented, we will have defintely more students willing to go through it. At least, they will come to know at least something about Thiruvalluvar and Thirukkural, which is much welcome than the present state of complete oblivion in which they now belong to.

Kumaraditya Sarkar.

Kumaraditya Sarkar
    Site Co-ordinator, SpiderWorks Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

Surprising CTR, CPC and eCPM in Punjabspider!

Eventhough Thirukkural have been written 2000 year back, each and every kural is suitable for present. Thrivalluvar and Thriukkural are great asset of Tamil.
    As far as I know, Thirukkural exist in Tamil book of every class upto XII standard. I think it is not possible to teach all the kurals in shcool curriculam. Thats why every class has maximum 4 adhikarams.

Suresh Kumar R.
    Engal Vazhvum Engal Valamum Mangaadha Tamizh Endru Sangae Muzhanku

Tirukural has no match today.

Its rich in day to day life meaning and hence suits to the aspirations of common man.

It must be made compulsory in schools.

When state road transport corporation buses can sport a Kural , why
    not schools teach the importance of it.

K Mohan

Theeinal Sutta Punn Arumay...Aaradhey Naavinaal Sutta Vadu...

Hi bala,

Very good post. Thirukkural as of now is the most commonly seen scriptures in Tamil. The reason that i said it is common is because, more number of people in Tamil Nadu, be it educated or not know atleast one Kural in their life even though there are many other interesting and content rich, advicing poems kike the agananooru and purananooru.

School syllabus in Tamil Nadu alwasy had only 4 athigarams, out of which two was for mug up and two was just read. This will deinitely not improve since students will not have eagerness to understand kural as it is. They read it and learn it for exams.

There must be some other system brought into this to make the students understand kurals as it has to be. Also the syllabi designers should be proactive. They keep on adding the same arivdaimai, adakamudaimai, poruludaimai etc for all the classes. This is not at all fair. They can look into the issue seriously and make some better syllabi for the students to learn kurals.

"I was a nut, before becoming a tree!"

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.